Mold Toxins and How They Could Affect You

Today, like every morning, running addicts get up before dawn for that early morning exercise that gets their blood pumping. It wakes them up and gives them the energy they need to get through the day. One thing that can slow them down is a moldy smelling bottle. Hydration is critical, but if a questionable smell is released when the cap comes off, it's enough to make anyone pause, wondering if it's okay to dump out yesterday's water and just refill the bottle. A quick little conversation takes place in their head.

"Eww, that can't be good." They take another sniff. "Yeah, no. Smells like mold." They glance at the time on the fitness tracker on their wrist. "I don't have time for this. I'll just dump out the old water and refill it. It will be fine." They dump the water down the sink and pause. "No. Not worth the chance." They grab a clean water bottle, fill it, and head out as they make a mental note - "Need to get on the internet later and find out why my bottle smells moldy."

That's a wise choice. Mold is no joke. It's the reason for lots of illnesses that range from easily treated things like abdominal cramping and other gastrointestinal issues to serious chronic diseases like if mold exposure is
repeated. It can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, and attention deficit problems. The list of symptoms that can result from exposure to toxic mold is long and includes many things most people wouldn't associate with mold. And believe it or not, most mold-induced illness begins in the digestive tract, not the lungs. There are steps that people who regularly use water bottles can take to minimize their chance of exposing themselves to these issues. These take just a few minutes to do. For those who are constantly in a hurry, there's an award-
winning self-sanitizing bottle that works its magic in only 60 seconds.

Serious Health Issues Caused by Mold

The problems caused by mold are more numerous and severe than most people realize. They don't know about the studies that show things like cancer, suppressed immune systems, and damaged neurological systems that are caused by the presence of toxic mold in the gut. They don't know that it damages intestinal microflora and the lining of the intestines. Most people think only of damage done by inhaling mold, but study after study shows that it causes extensive and serious illness throughout the body, including the gastrointestinal system. It often takes multiple wrong diagnoses for toxic mold to be identified as the culprit for symptoms like confusion, anxiety, depression, and insomnia.

One Solution - Prevention and Treatment

Given these dangers, not drinking from a moldy plastic bottle is a good idea. If something smells moldy, it is moldy. It may or may not be visible, but it's there. A liquid that just doesn't taste right can also be a sign of toxic mold. So what can someone do to address this problem? One solution is proper prevention of mold and effective treatment if mold does develop. Prevention is pretty simple.

  • Empty and rinse the bottle after every use and leave it out to air dry.
  • Do not store the bottle in a wet area.
  • Do not keep it sealed with liquid inside for long periods of time.

Here are the steps to take if mold does develop.

  • Add a teaspoon each of bleach and baking soda to the bottle and fill it with water.
  • Leave this mixture soaking in the bottle overnight.
  • Rinse it well or run it through the dishwasher.
  • Leave the bottle out to air dry completely.

A Simpler Solution

Another solution is to use a bottle designed to reduce the risk of toxic mold and other contaminants, one that even cleans itself. CrazyCap was included on the list of Time's Best Inventions of 2020. The bottle is made of stainless steel instead of plastic, but that's not what made it a standout invention. The real innovation lies in the cap that has ultraviolet light built into it. Ultraviolet light (UV) that's at the same wavelength as the UV that's used to sanitize operation rooms. It automatically activates every four hours and kills over 99% of mold, germs, and all those other things you don't want in your water. An efficient and self-cleaning bottle is an outstanding solution.


Mold is not something to be messed with. It causes a wide range of health issues and can even be deadly. Many people are shocked to learn of the havoc it can wreak on the digestive system. It's important to take steps to minimize the chances of developing any of these issues. Proper prevention and treatment when using a plastic bottle is one option. The CrazyCap is another option, a simpler one. It does all the work for you and does it with high efficiency.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published